Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Vancouver Fashion Week

How I ended up showing my clothing line twice in Vancouver Fashion Week:

When I was in grade 9 I was already an avid sewer. I spent prettymuch all my time in either the art room or the sewing room with my discman blaring(discman!? haha! is that like a record player? lol)
Anyways I designed clothes for a public fashion show when I was in high school. 
Fast forward 6 years or so:
I had just finished my degree at the Fashion Institute Of Design And Merchandising in Los Angeles and was looking for an opportunity to show some of my designs to the world. I googled "Vancouver Fashion Week" and emailed them. The event coordinator organized a time for the event manager to meet with me in downtown Vancouver. I brought my portfolio which back then was a huge black book and everything was hand sketched(haha remember those days?!)
The day we met it was raining and I wore a white eyelet skirt and my glitter ballet flats. I was 20 years old and at that time glitter flats seemed like a solid choice! lol As soon as he walked in I recognized the event manager! He had been the event manager at the fashion show I had shown my designs in when I was in grade 9!!! It was a wild moment! We had such a great time catching up and couldn't believe that life had connected us again! My clothing line was called Brandycandy and he stills refers to me as "His Little Brandycandy". Below is a photo of me sewing(I designed and sewed all the clothes myself). The second picture of the girls jumping is from my fashion show and we did the photoshoot in the historic Gastown. The hours before a fashion show happens are a pure adrenaline rush. A flurry of pins and pink lipstick! I remember being in absolute shock when I walked onto the runway after my second show. The end of the runway was solid cameras. I had only ever seen that in the movies! It was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment