Monday, August 4, 2014

What It's Like Being A Lesbian Fashion Designer

I know I have been talking a lot lately about being gaaaaaay. But ya know what? I kept it all inside for 27 years. In fact hiding it pretty much became me. For example, here is typical dialogue I would have in my head while casually shopping:
"Oooo! Cute tank top! High-low hem! It fits well! Nice print on the front of tropical birds. Maybe I should buy it. But it's grey melange. Grey...hummm......is that a lesbian thing? What if someone from work see's it and they figure out that I'm gay. Omg no one likes lesbians! My life will be over! This grey tank top will ruin my life! AHHH!!! Get me out of this store!"

Whooooahhh, eh? So ya. My life is much much simpler now. I feel calm. And the words are pouring out of me now that it's not taking my ENTIRE being to hide this one teeeeny tiiiiiny part of myself.
Plus, dating women is the best thing ever. Ever.
Ever.
And I want to share that with all of you!
Because you are beautiful and lovely and supportive.

Coming out is the most terrifying thing I have ever done. More terrifying than when I was 20 years old and moved to New York alone with only $500 in my pocket and lived with 3 other girls in a one bedroom apartment and slept on a 1 ft wide blow up river raft which would deflate during the night and I did an unpaid internship in Soho and then one of the 3 roommates got MRSA(anti-biotic resistant flesh eating disease) and I had to flee the country. Yup. Scarier than that! So scary I had to create the world's longest run-on-nightcap-of-a-sentence!!! The response I've received from both my new fashion design job and with friends and family has literally been 100% positive.

So on that note I shall say goodnight. Have a great week you guys and also thanks for all the support you have been showing me. Love.

For more about me coming out of the closet:

1 comment:

  1. You are very brave to be sharing this online and I think you will be able to help a lot of people. Why don't you tell us a bit more about how you overcame your fears and came out? Thanks! I'm a newbie in the blogging community and wanted to ask whether you would check out my blog?

    ReplyDelete